Banana leaves grow 2 meters in length. The leaves are wide, elongated, large, and round in shape. The botanical name of banana leaves is Musa acuminate, and it gives the resemblance of the tree but is categorised as the plant. Banana leaves are used as plates in southern part of India.
Following are some banana leaf nutrition facts:
- Calories 89
- Water 75%,
- Protein 1.1 grams,
- Carbohydrates 22.8 grams
- Sugar 12.2 grams
- Fibre 2.6 grams
- It normalizes the blood sugar level and helps to prevent indigestion. Resistant starch present in the leaves lowers the appetite.
- It prevents heart ailments because of the presence of potassium that is considered as the vital mineral for maintaining the health of the heart and controlling blood pressure.
- These are used for decoration purposes in different cultures such as Hinduism and Buddhism.
- In tropical areas, banana leaves are used for making roofs.
Following are some banana leaf recipes:
- Grilled whole fish on banana leaf
- Ingredients: 1 fish, salt & pepper as per taste, 1 cup of mixed basil leaves and cilantro, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1-4 banana leaves of double the size of fish, or a layer of tin foil, twine, and lemon slices
- Cooking steps: Preheat the BBQ grill for almost 15 minutes. Season fish with salt and pepper, then add fresh herbs in it and tie with twine. Flip the sides of fish to brush with oil. Wrap the whole fish with the banana leaves and lay on the grill for 15-20 minutes. After it is done, serve with the lemon wedges.
- Vegetarian banana leaf tamales recipe
- Ingredients: 1-pound package of banana leaves, 2 pounds of already prepared tamale masa, 3 dried ancho chillies, 1 clove garlic, 2 whole cloves, 2 whole peppercorns, salt, and extra virgin olive oil
- Cooking steps: Take the banana leaves, then put some masa on the centre of the leaves and press it with hands. Add chilli sauce, vegetables, and cheese for filling. Then fold the banana leaf to form the tamale and secure it with the kitchen string. After this, steam these tamales for almost 25-30 minutes and serve it.