Brinjal small or chota baigan is a small variant of regular brinjal. Brinjal is like tomato, its seeds and skin can be eaten, but like potato, it cannot be eaten raw, and needs to be cooked. This is used in Indian kitchens along many vegetables, and some parts of it are also used in traditional medicines. It is mostly grown in India and Malaysia. It can be used in various ways such as baking, barbecuing, pickling, or frying.
One cup of cooked cubed eggplant contains the following nutrients.
- Energy: 33.6 (calories)
- Carbs: 8.29 gram
- Magnesium: 10.6 (mg)
- Phosphorus: 14.4 (mg)
- Potassium: 117 (mg)
- Eggplant has fiber, which is good for balancing cholesterol levels. This ultimately reduces the risks of any liver disease.
- It has been observed that eggplant helps improve cognitive functions as it helps protect cell membranes from damage caused by free radicals.
- It is also good for eye health as it contains lutein, which helps prevent vision loss.
- Eggplant also helps in improving digestion as it contains a lot of fiber in it, which is a crucial element for a balanced diet.
- Not only the digestion, but the fiber content in eggplant also helps in improving your heart health.
- A proper intake of iron for human health is essential; if there’s not enough iron in an individual’s body, then it may lead to Anaemia. Eggplant is a rich source of iron; eating such foods can help you combat such diseases.
1. Brinjal or Eggplant Pakoras
Ingredients: 2-3Brinjals, salt, red chili powder, 1 cup water, 1 cup gram flour
Cooking Steps: Mix water and gram flour, add salt and red chili to it, and make a thick consistency. Now cut brinjal in round slices. Dip the slices in the batter and fry it on a high flame. Take it out and its ready to serve.
2. Aloo baingan
1-2 Potatoes, 2-3 Brinjals, salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin seeds
Cut potatoes and brinjals into small pieces. Add oil in a pan, and put some cumin seeds into it. Now add brinjal and potatoes in the pan and add some salt and red chili as per your taste. Cover with lid and cook it for 10-15 mins on medium flame, and it is ready.