Elephant foot yam is also known as suran and belongs to the family Araceae. The best growing season for elephant foot yam is monsoon.
The fruit is widely grown in West Bengal, Bihar, Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, and Karnataka. It is also known as slimming food as it contains low-fat and cholesterol. Buy elephant foot yam for the best price on online shops.
Per 136 grams of elephant foot yam contains:
- Calories: 158
- Carbs: 37 grams
- Protein: 2 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- vitamin C: 18% of the Daily Value
- Vitamin B5: 9% of the DV
- Manganese: 22% of the DV
- Potassium: 19% of the DV
- Folate: 6% of the DV
Following are some elephant foot yam health benefits:
- Yam helps in balancing the sugar level by lowering the insulin level.
- Hormonal health is also restored by eating yam.
- It helps in cleansing and detoxifies the body system.
- It helps in curing bowel movement and treat constipation.
- Elephant foot helps in relieving cramps and intestinal burns.
- It makes the skin young and blemish-free.
- Elephant foot yam curry
- Ingredients: 1 big bowl elephant foot yam, 1 cup chickpeas, 1 cup grated coconut, 1 small lemon size tamarind, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 5 dry red chillies, 8 curry leaves, 2 tsp cooking oil, 1 tsp Jaggery powder, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp turmeric powder, and ½ tsp lentils
- Cooking Steps: Chop the yams into cubes and keep aside. Mix tamarind, water, and salt along with chickpeas. Put this mixture in a cooker for about two whistles. Strain the excess water, add grated coconut, mustard seeds, and red chillies and mix it well. Add this mixture to the heated pan and add cooked yams and chickpeas, put some salt and jaggery over it, and gently combine the mixture. Cook it for one minute and serve.
- Yam Kerala style
- Ingredients: 2 cups yam, ¼ turmeric powder, salt, grated coconut, 4 green chillies, 1 tsp cumin seeds, ½ tsp black peppercorns, ½ tsp coconut oil, and 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Cooking Steps: Chop yams into small pieces, and put them in salted water for some time. Now take cumin, pepper, green chilli, and grind the mixture well. Add the ground masala to the semi-mashed yam pieces and cook for about five minutes. Take another pan meanwhile and toast the grated coconut till it turns golden brown. Finally, add this roasted coconut over yam and stir it well. It’s ready to serve now.