Lemongrass is used as a flavor because of its fragrant leaves. Its botanical name is Cymbopogon Citratus. The grass possesses blade-like leaves and grows on the clumps having stiff stems.
The colors of the leaves are mainly blue-green and then later turn into red. They emit lemon fragrance when leaving the stems. Its height reaches up to 1.8 meters and grows for many years.
- Minerals that are present in lemongrass are calcium, potassium, iron, and magnesium.
- It also possesses certain vitamins like vitamin A, folate, and vitamin C.
- There are 40 calories present in lemongrass and 4.5 grams of fat.
Some health benefits of lemongrass juice are:
- Using lemongrass helps in reducing the thrush symptoms of HIV patients.
- By applying it to the skin, it reduces the threat of musculoskeletal pain and headache.
- It is also used for preparing lemongrass tea, which is good for the skin.
Following are some lemongrass uses:
- The essential oil extracted is used for the preparation of soaps and perfumes.
- The lemongrass oil extract is used as insect repellents.
- Extracted lemongrass oil helps in reducing dandruff from hairs.
- Thai green curry paste recipe
- Ingredients: Cumin seeds, coriander seeds, lemongrass, fish sauce, olive oil, fresh lime zest, ginger, and scallion greens
- Cooking steps: In medium heat, toast cumin seeds and coriander seeds for 3 to 4 minutes and then grind after it’s cooled. Trim the bottom of the lemongrass to peel off the leaves. Cut the grass into thin slices. Add the mixture along with the lime zest, cilantro, chili, pepper, and scallion greens in a food processor and make a thin paste. Hence, the Thai green curry paste recipe is ready.
- Cherry ginger fizz
- Ingredients: Fresh ginger, tart cherry juice, lemon seltzer, and fresh cherries
- Cooking Steps: At the bottom of the tall glass, place the ginger and muddle it with the muddler to release the juice. Then top it with the ice. Pour the juice over the ice and top it with the seltzer. Garnish with fresh cherries and serve.