Lotus stem belongs to the root of Nelumbo nucifera. Lotus stem is considered as Indian lotus. It is used in soups. These are generally deep-fried or stir-fried or sometimes eaten raw. You can buy lotus stem online and avoid the hassle of going out.
60 g of boiled lotus stem contains 40 g of calories, 27mg of sodium, 10 g of carbohydrates, 2 g of fibre, 0.3 g of sugar, 1 g of protein. Lotus root is a fat-free food. It also has several minerals.
Following are some of the lotus stem health benefits:
- Lotus stem contains fibre, which softens the stool, making it easier for food to pass through the digestive tract.
- Consumption of lotus stem helps in the reduction of congenital disabilities.
- It also helps in preventing water retention.
- Lotus stem contains high amount of antioxidants that act as a skin conditioner.
- Nelumbo nucifera is sometimes used in cosmetics to provide nourishment to dry skin and heal flaky skin.
- It is also used in the making of traditional and ayurvedic medicines.
- Lotus stem stir fry
- Ingredients: 250 grams lotus, 1 Carrot sliced, 2 stalks celery sliced, 40 grams black fungus, 6 water chestnuts peeled and sliced thinly, 100 grams macadamia nuts toasted, 8 sweet peas, 1 cup chicken broth or water (of vegetarian), 1 tbsp garlic, 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce or vegetarian oyster sauce, and 1 tbsp soy sauce.
- Cooking steps: Slice all the vegetables into thin slices. Clean and peel the lotus stem. Soak the dry black fungus in cold water for 20 minutes until they fully expand. Toast macadamia nuts until its slightly golden brown and set aside. Heat up oil in wok over medium heat and saute the minced garlic till fragrant. Add all the vegetables. Next add in the soy sauce and oyster sauce and stir fry till the it boils. Finally add in the toasted macadamia nuts. And we're done!
- Braised lotus stem:
- Ingredients: sliced lotus stem, 4 cups water, and 1tbsp apple cider vinegar. For the sauce, 5tbsp soy sauce, 4 tbsp rice wine, 6 tbsp water, and 2 tbsp dark brown sugar. For thickening the sauce, 1 tbsp cornstarch, 2 tsp sesame seeds, and 2tsp sesame oil
- Cooking steps: Boil vinegar, lotus, and some water for 20 minutes. Drain the water and pour some cold water on a lotus. Now add sauce and simmer it on medium heat until 2/3 of the sauce disappears. Now add the thickening sauce in a pot and cook on high flame and then serve.