Raw yellow turmeric is the main spice used in curry or in different dishes to give them colour as well as texture. It is a tall plant that grows in Asia & America.
The root of turmeric is used for making medicine. It is generally yellow in colour containing a chemical called curcumin. It is found all over India and is the major ingredient in most of the dishes. It has a bitter taste and is also called Indian saffron or golden spice.
Following are some turmeric nutrition facts:
- It contains protein, fat, 6.31g carbohydrate, fibre, and 0.3g of sugar.
- It also contains manganese, iron, potassium, vitamin, and minerals.
- It contains antibacterial properties that help in treating urinary tract infection.
- Some people boil raw turmeric milk to reduce fat and tissues of the body.
- It acts as a blood purifier.
Here are some turmeric uses:
- Raw turmeric is used for the face mask.
- Powder of raw turmeric is used to drive off insects or repel mosquitoes.
- Raw turmeric pickle
- Ingredients: ½ cup peeled and sliced ginger, ½ cup peeled and sliced fresh raw turmeric, 2 teaspoon lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon salt
- Cooking steps: Combine all the ingredients in a clean bowl and mix well. Store in an airtight container or glass jar up to one week in a refrigerator. Raw turmeric pickle is ready after a week.
- Raw turmeric root curry with green peas
- Ingredients: 5 pieces of 2-inch turmeric root, 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, 1 cup green peas, 1 teaspoon ginger and garlic paste, 1 teaspoon cumin powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon red pepper, 1 cup tomatoes, and salt to taste
- Cooking steps: Heat coconut oil in a pan. Slowly add cumin powder, ginger garlic paste, turmeric root, tomatoes, and mix it well. Pour some water into it and add green peas, then cover it for 2-3 min. Add coriander powder, red pepper, and salt again and cover it for 10 min. Now it is ready to serve.