Watermelon is a plant species that belongs to the family of Cucurbitaceae. The favourable climate for the growth of Watermelon ranges from tropical to temperate regions throughout the world.
It is a very sweet, delicious fruit that consists of a soft juicy flesh, which is majorly red to pink in colour. It consists of various tiny black seeds.
The inner flesh of watermelon can be eaten raw or cooked as per the choice, although the green and the hard rind is edible after it is cooked.
Nutritional Profile (800 grams)
- Calories- 240
- Total fat- 0.12 grams
- Cholesterol-0 mg
- Sodium- 8 mg
- Carbohydrates- 60 grams
- Protein- 4.8 grams
- Potassium- 896 mg
- Vitamin C- 72%
- Vitamin A- 25%
- Watermelon has a very high water content of 92%, which keeps you hydrated.
- It contains nutritional compounds that may prevent cancer.
- As watermelon is rich in inflammatory antioxidants and vitamin C, it reduces inflammation and oxidative problems.
- Amino acids present in watermelon help in reducing muscle soreness and relax the body.
- Vitamin A and C present in Watermelon are very helpful for healthy skin and hair.
- The high amount of water present in Watermelon improves digestion and bowel movements.
1. Watermelon Halwa
Watermelon, powdered sugar, salt, ghee, dry fruits
Peel a watermelon and chop into small pieces, blend them in a mixer. Sieve the puree before cooking it. In a pan, add 1 tsp ghee and let it heat. Later add watermelon puree and powdered sugar. Cook for a few minutes and add dry fruits. Cook for another 30-40 minutes. Once it is perfectly thick, freeze it for a few hours.
2. Summer Watermelon Juice
Ingredients: Watermelon, lemon, black salt, sugar/honey, mint leaves
Cooking steps: Take a watermelon and chop it into small pieces. In a mixer, put those pieces along with lemon juice, mint leaves, black salt, and sugar if required. Blend all the ingredients well. Later add ice and blend again to make it thick. Serve cool.