Basmati Rice is classified according to its grain length. Some of the grains of rice are broken during the removal of the husk.
- Here is the classification of different types of rice according to the grain length:
- Full-length rice has 100% of the rice grain length for a variety (e.g. Basmati).
- Dubar has broken rice grains but longer than 75% of the length of the full-length rice.
- Tibar has broken rice grains in the range of 60% to 75% of the length of the full-length rice.
- Kinki has broken rice grains less than 60% of the full length of the rice grain.
- Kinki rice is further classified into Mogra and Mini Mogra in the descending order of the rice grain size.